Historical Society of Princeton
Updike Farmstead 354 Quaker Road Princeton NJ 08542
The mission of the Historical Society of Princeton is to collect and preserve materials pertaining to the town and its environs, and to interpret the history of the area through exhibitions, educational programs, and publications. Since its founding in 1938, the Historical Society has amassed, recorded, and exhibited a collection of over 40,000 artifacts, manuscripts, photographs, decorative arts objects, artworks, and articles of clothing dating from the 17th century to the present, and has offered a broad range of educational services and activities to local residents, students, scholars, and visitors from around the world. Walking tours, lectures, out-of-town trips, education programs for schools: the Historical Society presents these programs and more throughout the year. Every Sunday at 2pm, come join a guided walking tour of downtown Princeton and learn all about Princeton’s people, its architecture, and historical moments from an HSP-trained guide.
4 Columbia Avenue Hopewell NJ 08525
Originally settled in the early 1700’s and later incorporated in 1891, Hopewell Borough today remains one of New Jersey’s most quaint and historic treasures. Travelers passing through the Borough in 2010 can easily imagine days of yesteryear, when horses or trolleys carried passengers through town and to nearby destinations. Broad Street offers many unique stores, one-of-a-kind restaurants, antique shops, specialty service establishments and centuries-old residences, and it is understandable why New Jersey Monthly magazine consistently ranks Hopewell Borough among the more desirable small towns in their annual “Best Places to Live” surveys. For more information, including a calendar of events, please visit the official website at www.hopewellboro-nj.us, or contact the Borough offices at 609-466-2636.
1761 Brearley House
Meadow Road Lawrenceville NJ 08648
The Georgian Quaker farmhouse was built in 1761 in the Great Meadow of the village of Maidenhead for James Brearley, grandson of John Brearley, who came from Yorkshire, England, to the Delaware River Valley in 1682 as an indentured servant. Members of the Brearley family, distinguished citizens of New jersey before and after the Revolution, lived in this house for over 150 years. In 1978, Lawrence Township bought the property, and in 2000, with funds raised by the Lawrence Historical Society, Lawrence Township, and the New Jersey Historic Trust, the house was restored.Public tours of the house occur on the first Saturday of every month from 10 AM to noon; school and group tours can also be arranged. In early December, the house is decorated for a Holiday Wassail Party. On New Year's Eve a Hogmanay Bonfire is lit at dusk in the Great Meadow. Brearley House and its peaceful meadow at the end of an 18th century dirt road are available as an idyllic setting for meetings and social events.
Albert Einstein's House
112 Mercer Street Princeton NJ 08540
A white frame two-story house with large front porch in Greek revival style where the physicist lived from the time he was ousted from his job by the Nazis and joined the Institute for Advanced Study in 1933 until his death in 1955. Not open to the public.
Alexander Douglass House
Front and Montgomery Streets Trenton NJ 08601
This historic home belonged to the Quarter Master of the Continental army, and served as headquarters for General George Washington in 1777. The Douglass House was moved within town four times and is now found just outside of Mill Hill Park. Owned by the City of Trenton, the Douglass House is currently open for special events only.
158 Nassau Street Princeton NJ 08540
Bainbridge House is one of the oldest surviving buildings in Princeton still on its original foundation. It is also one of the area's best-preserved examples of mid-Georgian architecture. Located on Nassau Street, the town's busiest and most historic thoroughfare, Bainbridge House is situated directly across from Princeton University.It serves as the Historical Society's headquarters, including spaces for temporary and permanent exhibitions, a small museum shop, a library and staff offices. The exhibition spaces and shop in Bainbridge House are open to the public Tuesday through Sunday from 12 to 4 PM. The library is open Tuesdays and Saturdays 1 to 4PM.
Benjamin Temple House
Drake Farm Park 27 Federal City Road Ewing NJ
The Colonial wood-frame Benjamin Temple House is an interesting mix of styles that was built over 90 years (1750-1840) and moved to its present site in the 1970's. Now the headquarters of the Ewing Township Historic Preservation Society, the house holds a collection of artifacts and memorabilia, maps, photos and letters pertaining to the history of Ewing.
Bucks County Historical Society
84 South Pine Street Doylestown PA 18901
The Bucks County Historical Society (BCHS), a private non-profit organization, located in Doylestown, Pennsylvania, is a unique cultural and educational institution which operates The Mercer Museum, Spruance Library and Fonthill Museum. As the County Historical Society, it is charged with collecting, preserving and interpreting the rich history and culture of Bucks County and the Delaware Valley region. As the primary inheritor of the material and intellectual legacy of Henry Chapman Mercer, the BCHS is custodian of a regionally and nationally significant collection of tools and artifacts which illuminate the history of pre-industrial America to, c. 1850.
First Presbyterian Church
120 East State Street Trenton NJ 08601
While the current church building was not on its East State Street site at the time of the Revolution, the burial yards that flank it were. Buried here are some of the Hessians who died in the First Battle of Trenton, including their leader, Colonel Johann Rall. The men are in an unmarked grave on the west side of the building. The First Presbyterian Church building, located at 120 East State Street dates from 1839, and is open Monday through Friday from 10 a.m. until 4 p.m. for tours and groups. Please call the Church to arrange your visit: 609-396-1712 x10.
Heritage Trail Association
Van Horne House 941 East Main Street Bridgewater NJ 08807
Over 300 years of sacrifices, challenges and pivotal moments have transpired right in our own backyard. Our goal is to offer area residents and visitors alike an opportunity to learn about the rich history of greater Somerset County while celebrating our unique place in our nation's history. The Heritage Trail Association helps to connect the past to the present day.
28 East Broad Street Hopewell NJ 08525
The goal of the Hopewell Museum is to preserve and display what is most typical and interesting of village life in America from early Colonial days to the present. In 1922, Hopewell resident Sarah D. Stout donated an important collection of antiques which became the nucleus of a continuously growing inventory of artifacts, furniture, crafts, silver and pewter, antique guns and swords and other items. The museum is housed in a beautiful 1877 Beaux Arts home. Open MWSat 2-5.
John Abbott II House
2200 Kuser Road Hamilton NJ
John Abbott's father built this house in 1730 on the north side of Crosswicks Creek, and the younger Abbott lived here until his death in 1795. The house was moved to its location near Veterean's Park and is open to the public Sat. and Sun., 12-5pm.
Kuser Farm Mansion & Park
390 Newkirk Avenue Hamilton NJ 08609
For a taste of the Victorian Age, visit the 1892 Victorian mansion and park of Fred Kuser and his family. 18 rooms are open for guided tours and self -guided tours take in the coach house, tennis pavillion, barn, windmill, gazebo and other out buildings. The mansion hosts more than 60 free educational programs and summer concerts are offered in the park.
New Hope Historical Society
P.O. Box 41 New Hope PA 18938
New Jersey State House
Capitol Complex Trenton NJ 08601
Notable for its architecture and rich history, the New Jersey State House was built in 1792 and is one of the nation's oldest capitols. Begin your tour in the rotunda, where stained glass windows surround portraits of early govenors. Other rooms of interest are the senate and general assembly chamber galleries and the Govenor's Reception Room. Call for tour reservations and information.
Old Barracks Museum
Barrack Street Trenton
Visitors enjoy many exhibits and activities recalling military life before and during the Battle of Trenton.The Museum offers great services for families throughout the year. From military re-enactments and family workshops to concerts, lectures, and even Summer History Day Camp for the kids, the Old Barracks is an invaluable educational resource. Open daily 10-5pm.
Old Millstone Forge
North River Street Millstone NJ
Known as the longest operating blacksmith shop in America, the Old Millstone Forge was constructed prior to 1700. It served the area as an active blacksmith's shop until the death, in1959, of its last blacksmith, Edward H. Wyckoff, who worked his trade for 72 years. The building was restored by area residents in the 1960s and is operated by the Millstone Forge Association. The shop is open to the public as a museum featuring smithing demonstrations and the history of blacksmithing.
Princeton Battlefield State Park
500 Mercer Street Princeton NJ 08540
This 85 acre park is the site of Washington's victory over British forces on January 3, 1777, completing the 10 Crucial Days, a major turning point in the American Revolution. The battlefield is part of a 681-acre state parks that also includes the Princeton Battle Monument and the 1772 Clark House, where General Hugh Mercer died. The park is a popular spot for hiking, birdwatching, and cross-country skiing.
Witherspoon & Wiggins Street Princeton NJ 08540
Since 1757, this cemetery has been the burial site for local families and for prominent Americans – for which reason it's been called the "Westminster Abbey of the United States." Affiliated with the Nassau Presbyterian Church, the cemetery shelters the graves of parishioners and other town residents; a special part is also designated as the Presidents' Plot for leaders of Princeton University. Maps of the cemetery (available at the superintendent's house on Greenview Avenue) indicate the tombstones of historical figures like Aaron Burr, Jonathan Edwards, and Grover Cleveland.
Revolutionary War New Jersey
P.O. Box 496 Kingston NJ 08528
Rockingham is believed to be the second oldest house in the Millstone River Valley, dating from about 1710 and owned by the Berrien family for most of the 18th century. From late August to early November 1783, while Congress was in residence in Princeton, the house served as George Washington’s final Revolutionary War headquarters, and it was from here that he issued his Farewell Orders to the Armies in late October. On October 31, 1783, Washington and Congress received the long awaited news—the final version of the Treaty of Paris had been signed and the thirteen colonies were independent of Great Britain. Physically relocated three times since 1896, Rockingham Historic Site maintains a fine collection of 18th-century furnishings and Washington military reproductions, and includes a Colonial kitchen garden and Dutch barn. Hours: guided tours only, Wed.-Sat. at 10 & 11 am, 1, 2 & 3 pm and.Sun. at 1, 2 & 3 pm.
Sayen House and Gardens
155 Hughes Drive Hamilton NJ
Sayen House and Gardens is a beautiful attraction throughout the spring. Filled with azaleas and rhododendron brought from China, Japan and England they highlight a collection of colorful blossoming species providing a feast for the eyes. The gardens hold some 2,000 azaleas and 1,500 rhododendrons of hybrid and native species. The grounds are dotted with fishponds, gazebnos and walking trails. The house was built in 1912 in the bungalown style and Hamilton's annual Azalea Festival takes place here each Mother's Day.
St. Michael's Church
140 N. Warren Street Trenton NJ 08601
Originally known as the English Church, St. Michael's is one of the oldest religious houses in Mercer County. Because its members were split 50/50 -- loyalist and patriot -- St. Michael's did not have religious services during the Revolutionary War. It did serve as the town's library in 1776, and, of the 50 books in the library's possession at the time, 14 survive to this day.
The Lawrence Historical Society
P.O. Box 6025 Lawrenceville NJ 08648
The Lawrence Historical Society was formed on November 28, 1975 as a non-partisan non-profit organization. The Society 's purpose is to preserve and promote the history of Lawrence Township. Among the Society's historical sites are the 1761 Brearley House, owned by the Township of Lawrence, and the 1830 Port Mercer Canal House, owned by the State of New Jersey.
The Moravian Pottery & Tile Works
130 Swamp Road Doylestown PA 18901
The Moravian Pottery and Tile Works, a National Historic Landmark, is maintained as a "working history" museum by Pennsylvania's County of Bucks, Department of Parks and Recreation. Handmade tiles are still produced in a manner similar to that developed by the pottery's founder and builder, Henry Chapman Mercer (1856-1930).Tours, offered every half-hour, consist of a 17-minute video and a self-guided walk through the facility.Open Daily 10 -4:45 daily.
The Pearl S. Buck House
520 Dublin Road Perkasie PA 18944
Discover the legacy of the first American woman to receive the Pulitzer and Nobel Prices for literature. Learn about the life of author, activist, and humanitarian Pearl S. Buck by visiting the 68 acre estate, with beautiful gardens, greenhouses, cottage, milk house, and renovated barn. The 1825 stone farm house is an excellent example of nineteenth century architecture. The historic home holds a rich collection of Pennsylvania country furniture alongside Chinese decorative screens, a silk wall hanging presented by the Dali Lama of Tibet, Chen Chi paintings and works by celebrated artists Redfield and Baum. Guided Tours are provided Sunday at 1 PM and 2 PM and Tuesday through Saturday at 11 AM, 1 PM, and 2 PM.
The Princeton Battlefield Society
P.O. Box 7645 Princeton NJ 08543
The Princeton Battlefield Society is a non-profit 501(C)3 volunteer organization dedicated to the enhancement, preservation, and development of Princeton Battlefield State Park and surrounding lands. We are the guardians of this national treasure. The Battlefield and Clarke House Museum are National Historic Landmarks and the Society members assist in the interpretation, public education, research, grounds maintenance, and fund raising connected with the historical events and natural features of the Park. We are a membership organization. If you have a passion for the American Revolution, or for the 18th century, or love history in any aspect, then we invite you to join with us. This remarkable battlefield and the men who fought here deserve to be remembered. At present we are actively working on preserving the battlefield from development by the Institute of Advanced Study. Join us and help!
The Updike Farmstead
354 Quaker Road Princeton NJ 08540
Thomas Clark House
500 Mercer Street Princeton Battlefield State Park Princeton
Built circa 1772 by Quaker Thomas Clarke, the Thomas Clarke House in Princeton Battlefield State Park was originally surrounded by a 200-acre farm. On January 3, 1777, the Battle of Princeton was fought on the farm. The Clarke House served as a field hospital for the wounded of both sides. American General Hugh Mercer died here nine days later. The 85-acre park, a National Historic landmark, contains a cutting from the historic Mercer Oak, the memorial colonnade and a graveyard for British and American soldiers.Open 7 days 10-12 and 1-4pm.
Trenton Historical Murals
23 S. Warren Street Trenton NJ 08601
On July 8, 1776, the Declaration of Independence was first read publicly in three cities: Philadelphia, Easton,PA and Trenton. Some hisorians believe that Trenton was the first, thus, the first in the nation. Muralist Illia Barger and the Trenton Downtown Association (TDA) have re-created this historic moment with a sweeping depiction of the reading at the Hunterdon County Courthouse, which stood across the street from the mural site on S. Wartren Street. The mural, which measures 60 ft. by 36ft. is one of a series of murals commissioned by the TDA.
Washington Crossing Historic Park
Route 32 Washington Crossing PA 18977
This historic park interprets the heroic crossing by Washington and his army of the Delaware River on Christmas night 1776. Washington and his men assaulted the unsuspecting Hessians at Trenton, a victory that bolstered their spirits and American confidence. Visitors can tour 13 historic buildings and Bowman's Hill Tower. The park is divided into two parts which are approx. 5 miles apart: The McConkey's Ferry Section and the Thompson's Mill Section.
William Trent House
15 Market Street Trenton NJ 08611
History comes alive at Trenton's oldest homestead---the William Trent House. Built between 1716 - 1719, this National Historic Landmark was the country seat of William Trent, a Philadelphia merchant and his family.When you visit the William Trent House, you are literally stepping back in time. You will gain amazing insight into the many layers of colonial life during the early 18th century. You will see how, later in the century, the William Trent House played a role in the Battles of Trenton, the "turning point of the American Revolution." Hours: 12:30-4pm daily.
Yardley Historical Association
The Old Library by Lake Afton 46 West Afton Avenue Yardley PA 19067